Friday, May 6, 2011

Culture Shock

Im writing this post from my own bed, in good ol' East Peoria, Illinois.

It is hard to believe that my time in the city is over, and so much has happened in the past week. We made the most of our last nights in the city, going out and just enjoying everything around us. I am so happy that one of my last memories is sitting on the steps of the Capitol with everyone, staring down the dark mall, only lit by the Washington Monument in the background.

Then Friday morning before I left I was able to meet the editor-in-chief of Elle magazine. Talk about a perfect end to the semester. I wish I could have stayed long with the Georgetowner, because I am sure the great opportunities would have continued.

The goodbyes were rough. Out last day of class we spent sharing memories of the semester and giving everyone "verbal gifts". I really didn't get emotional until I had to say goodbye to Gretchen and the roommates before hitting the road.

But before we hit the road, my parents experienced the city in a way they are not used to. As we were moving my things from the apartment to the car, Dad left he car unlocked for about five minutes, a big no no in the city! Someone had taken Dad's wallet and my GPS in those short minutes, so we had a much more stressful move-out than anticipated.

We finally got on the road, and made it to Upland, Indiana for the night. The stop was intended for rest, but after dropping Mom and Dad off at the hotel, I decided to surprise my best friends on campus. We stayed up til 7 a.m. talking on the porch. After breakfast with my parents then it was back on the road for another four and a half hours until we reached beautiful East Peoria.

Well that last statement may be quite sarcastic. I have had trouble adjusting to the climate change from 85 degrees to barely 50. Along with the climate my whole schedule has been shaken, and I really do miss the city. It is quiet here, and I don't see any business suits walking around. It is weird to drive, and I cannot believe the price of gas! Here I thought the prices in the city were high just because I was in the city, but it turns out gas is over $4 everywhere!

The much slowed down pace is relaxing, but quite a culture shock.

I am loving being home with my family and spending time with my nephew Colton, who somehow turned into a little man while I was gone.

I miss my roommates terribly, but have tried to keep in touch via text or Facebook.

Although my time in the city is done, I learned so much about myself and my future I would not have traded any of the struggles or frustrations it took to get me through the semester. I am so blessed to have met everyone I did and form the life long relationships I will continue to treasure.

It is hard to not focus on the past and I find myself referring to DC on a daily basis, but I know that the memories are forever, and returning to that great city is nowhere out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment